On Tuesday, during the unveiling of Mi Note 2, Xiaomi surprised the whole world by announcing another new phone the Mi MIX.
The new Mi MIX is a concept phone that’s unlike any smartphone we have seen before. The unique and never done before design choices used in manufacturing the phone makes it one of the most exciting phone launched by the company. It has incorporated a bezel-less design with a custom rounded edge display, which gives it a whopping 91.3% screen-to-body ratio (highest ever in a phone).The entire body is made of ceramics including the buttons and the frame.
The sound speaker has been replaced by the piezoelectric ceramic acoustic technology. Which allow users to hear the voice of callers just by placing ear on the screen, Amazing Right? The traditional proximity sensor has also been replaced by an ultrasonic proximity sensor. The front camera is at the bottom right instead of the top and is 50% smaller than regular front cameras. The Mi MIX 18K version includes 18 karat gold rims around the camera and fingerprint sensor.
Despite the high cost that goes into manufacturing such a product, the Mi MIX is priced at only 516$ and 590$ for the 18K version. And it does not hold back in terms of specs either.
- 6.4’’ OLED edgeless display, 2040×1080 FHD resolution , 91.3% screen-to-body ratio
- Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 821 SoC at 2.35 GHz, Adreno 520 GPU
- 16MP OmniVision OV16880 rear camera with PDAF and LED Flash, 5MP compact front camera (50% smaller)
- 4400mAh battery, Quickcharge 3.0
- Full NFC functionality, Dual sim, 4G LTE ,Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth
- Fingerprint sensor, Ultrasonic proximity sensor, Gyro-compass, Hall Sensors, Light Intensity sensors, Accelerometer, Hygrometer
- Android OS v6.0 (Marshmallow), MIUI 8
The normal version comes with 4GB LPDDR4 RAM + 128GB UFS 2.0 storage(Non expandable) while the 18K version will have 6GB LPDDR4 RAM and 256GB UFS 2.0 storage(Non expandable). Both variants come with a leather case right out of the box.
The phone is going on sale from November 4 in its home market. As for now, we can only make speculations on when and if Mi MIX will arrive in Nepal.
So what do you think about the edgeless display smartphone from Xiaomi? Will you buy if Mi Nepal makes it available in Nepal? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Hands-on Video by MKBHD